Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Trove Tuesday - Mumbo Jumbo

Looking around for a Trove Tuesday item for today I decided to search for something on January 15th that happened in Cobar where my Mum grew up. I found a few things but one item that stood out was a death notice for someone in another place.

The digitisation of this item was so bad that the OCR transcription was just gobbledegook. So, for today, I decided to correct that entry and spend some time correcting some of the other posts that came up as a result of my search. Whenever I find something from the Trove newspaper collection it is my policy to make corrections to that article and/or the neighbouring articles.  See below the transcription and copy of article that I will correct after I finish this post.

BERSM -On the 15th January at her reel

dence 39 Durham street South Richmond
Therm Mar) i Molls I jnungost daughter oftha late Ernest Bernes and Lilian Html len ¡nudster of Florrie James Albert and OcrtrudcBersey affectionate stepdaughter of TrankHunt and loving stepsister of Jean Hunt alsoloved floncee of Maurlee Street Richmondlied 50 sears -Rcqulcscnt lit pace

1936 'Family Notices.', The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1956), 16 January, p. 1, viewed 15 January, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article11873693



A quick search on Ancestry confirmed Therese's parents' names, this also confirmed that her surname was spelt BERSEY but I have not been able to find any other records for Therese/Theresa.

I believe that we should all give back to Trove by making corrections to the OCR text thus making for more effective searches by others who may use the resource in the future.

Do you regularly correct the OCR text on Trove?

5 comments:

Rosemary said...

Of course!

Unknown said...

Always try to if I had time. Trove is such a wonderful resource.

Kylie Willison said...

I do corrections and I've started tagging articles too. Tags have helped me find ancestors on Trove and also let me see at a glance which articles I've looked at previously and which I haven't.

GeniAus said...

Great to hear - Keep up the good work, ladies.

Anonymous said...

I too absolutely can't resist doing exactly the same thing... seems I'm in good company :-) Cheers, Catherine

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...