Friday, November 11, 2016

Remembering Local Soldiers

On this Remembrance Day November 11 I am sharing a link to a work,  commonly known as The Argus War Book, that was published shortly after World War 1. I have known of the existence of the work for many years but had never handled or seen a copy.


As I was indulging in a bit of tangential research last week I came across a blog post (Please read it all) from Parramatta Heritage Centre that talked about the history of  "The Argus War Book: Parramatta and District Soldiers who Fought in the Great War" and mentioned the areas included in the book. 

I was surprised to find that all these places were included: "Parramatta, Granville and Clyde, Auburn, Lidcombe the book continues to include Liverpool, Marsden Park, Ingleburn, Hoxton Park, Cecil Park, Cabramatta, Canley Vale, St. John’s Park, Smithfield, Fairfield, Wetherill Park, Bossley Park, Guildford, Merrylands, Westmead, Wentworthville, Toongabbie, Seven Hills, Blacktown, Prospect, Plumpton, Schofield’s Siding, Sackvllle, Eastern Creek, Rouse Hill, Arcadia, Baulkham Hills. Castle Hill, Dural, Galston, Glenhaven, Glenorie, Kellyville, Kenthurst, Carlingford, Dundas, Ermington and Rydalmere, Waitara, Hornsby, Normanhurst, Thornlelgh, Pennant Hills, Beecroft, Cheltenham, Epping, Eastwood, Ryde, Meadowbank and Gladesville." Both Mr GeniAus and I have ancestors in one or some of these areas.


Great-Grandfather John James Ball
The exciting news conveyed in the blog post was that the publication has been digitised and it may be viewed from this link. I was finally able to get my (virtual) hands on this 271 page book which contains photographs and concise biographical information on military men and nurses from the district.

 I was particularly interested in  the Liverpool soldiers because I have been researching Mr GeniAus' Ball ancestors who were not mentioned in the recent Liverpool publication "Our Liverpool Boys". 

What I discovered were mentions and photos of  Great-Grandfather John James Ball,  Grandfather James Ball, Great Uncle Fred Ball and several cousins. Until we came across this digitised publication we had never  seen a photo of John James

Today as I reflect on the sacrifices made by our military ancestors I commend the people at Parramatta who have provided access to this valuable resource for local families.


We Will Remember Them


1 comment:

Deb said...

Lucky you Jill, what a discovery !

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...