Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Trove Tuesday - Edited by Bev G.

As I was selecting an article for a Trove Tuesday post for my Family History Group I found that someone had added a bit of extra text "Edited by Bev G" into the article's transcription.

1898 'BOATING NATALITY AT BROOKLYN.', The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954), 11 November, p. 5. , viewed 14 Nov 2016, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article14184670
From time to time I have found typos in Trove newspaper articles but I have religiously transcribed from the original.

While it is tempting to change or add to the transcribed text this is contrary to the Trove correction guidelines (http://help.nla.gov.au/trove/digitised-newspapers/text-correction-guidelines)
If you discover corrections that are clearly not part of the original text feel free to correct them back to the original text. If the corrections contain links, swearing, or occupy significant amounts of the article please report using the Contact us page and these will be rolled back (rolling back corrections removes them from the correction history as well as reverting the corrections to an earlier stage)."
While the "Edited by Bev G" addition to the above article is not abuse or malicious it shouldn't be there so I have corrected it. The transcribed text must accurately reflect the original.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

"If the corrections contain links, swearing, or occupy significant amounts of the article...". This flabbergasts me! Obviously Trove put these up as examples because they have already occurred. Seriously - swearing?! What are people thinking? And I'll add a Crikey! to that as well. :)

Anne Young said...

I have never yet come across unhelpful or inaccurate text corrections on Trove. Your discovery seems a first. It seems to be a terrific community.

GeniAus said...

It's also the first time I have seen something like this. I wonder if those who have corrected millions of lines have found many instances.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...