Friday, March 9, 2018

A Sense of Community



My past two days have been so busy and so rewarding.

I spent my days connecting with genimates at they took advantage of the #Congress_2018 pre-registration offered by The Society of  Australian Genealogists. The registration event took place right next door to to the home of the Society, Richmond Villa in the historic Glover Cottages.  Society President, Martyn Killion, had organised beautiful weather and Executive Officer, Heather Garnsey, organised some catering. While fellow volunteers from the Society dispensed conference badges and bags my role was a social one. I was on hand to offer a cuppa and cake and to chat with those who had tramped along Kent Street to the Cottages.

Several folk who had other things on their agendas popped in, grabbed their registration paraphernalia and took off but most lingered for the chat, cuppa and cake. Some even stayed for a few hours because the atmosphere in the courtyard was so convivial. The sense of community was evident as people who came along as strangers made new friends. I could see my aim of this Congress being a friendly affair being fulfilled. It made this old genie's heart sing.

I loved being on hand to reconnect with genimates some of whom I hadn't seen for a few months or years and to meet in person so many of my online mates from our Congress Facebook Group. A personal highlight was meeting for the first time a 3rd cousin I had connected with via DNA.

Meeting my third cousin for the first time
Of course I had my phone on hand to take some happy snaps to capture the atmosphere.


President Martyn holding court
Executive Officer, Heather, busy listening








Volunteer Coordinator, Tiphanee

Brenda and Charlie B.

4 comments:

Jennifer Jones said...

Jill it's wonderful to see such a great friendly vibe happening. Congratulations on creating that in he lead up. Very sad not to be there

GeniAus said...

Will miss you.Axedale features in my presentation today

derivation said...

Great day

Crissouli said...

I have included your blog in INTERESTING BLOGS in FRIDAY FOSSICKING at

https://thatmomentintime-crissouli.blogspot.com/2018/03/friday-fossicking-16th-march-2018.html

Thanks, Chris

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...